RealClearDefense Morning Edition
Thursday, October 23Will U.S. Stealth Destroyer Stay Afloat?
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastSuper Highway: Parry's Seapower Primer
- Matt Hipple, War on the RocksIt's Time to Talk About Nukes Again
- Spalding & Lowther, RealClearDefenseThe New Missiles of October
- Victor Davis Hanson, Washington TimesDavid vs. Goliath in the South China Sea
- Richard Javad Heydarian, TNISteadying Allied Defenses in Korea
- Klingner & O'Hanlon, Brookings InstThe Concrete Battleship
- Steve Weintz, War Is BoringThe Army Gropes Toward a Cultural Revolution
- Sydney Freedberg, BDFully Integrated Conventional & Special Ops Forces?
- Mike Rauhut, CFRThe Air Force's Quiet Energy Revolution
- Deborah Lee James, Defense OneBreaking the Cycle of Debt for Troops, Families
- Tammy Duckworth, MTTaliban Rising Again in Afghanistan's North
- Azam Ahmed, NY TimesHow Big Is the Canadian Terror Network?
- Mak, Lake & Siegel, Daily BeastDefense Elections: Alaska
| N.C.Follow RealClearDefense:
On Twitter @RCDefense
and on Facebook
Wednesday, October 22Get Ready for Iraq War IV
- John Nagl, Foreign PolicyDisturbing Similarities: Iraq in 2006 and 2014
- Daniel DePetris, Natl IntChina Hacks Away at U.S. Military Superiority
- Eaglen & Morrison, RCDChina's Aircraft Carrier Is Having Trouble
- R. Beckhusen, War Is BoringAn Act of War? The Law of Naval Mining
- Scott Truver, War on the RocksSweden Calls Sub's Breach of Waters F****d Up
- Elias Groll, Foreign PolicyHow to Survive a Shrinking Army
- Andrew Steadman, Task & PurposeShould Obama Take North Korea's Bait?
- Gordon Chang, Daily BeastIs Restraint a Realistic Grand Strategy?
- Michael Page, Cicero MagazineHow Big a Nuclear Arsenal Do We Really Need?
- Joe Cirincione, LA Times
Tuesday, October 21Is the Tide About to Turn Against ISIS?
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily Beast10 Disruptive Technologies Amid Global Instability
- Sandra Erwin, NDHow This Tank Expert Kept "Fury" Authentic
- Matthew Gault, WIBAmerica's Elusive Military Hero Gets His Due
- Michael Kimmage, TNRLeyte Gulf: The Death of the Japanese Empire
- James Holmes, Natl IntLand of the Free Because of the Brave
- David Mattingly, War on the RocksNavy Takes Different Approach to Painting Vessels
- Robert McCabe, PilotThe Political Perils of Offshore Balancing
- Chris Mclachlan, The DiplomatHow Gough Remade Australian Defense
- Graeme Dobell, ASPI StrategistEllsworth AFB Dragged Into Senate Race
- Seth Tupper, Rapid City JournalHow Obama Can Tidy Up a Messy World
- Armitage & Bue, USA TodayDoubling Down on Disaster in Syria
- Michael Weiss & Faysal Itani, PoliticoHow to Financially Starve ISIS
- Naina Bajekal, TimeBiometrics May Mean End of the Spy's Disguise
- Colin Clark, BDDemystifying American Intelligence
- Matthew Ferraro, Overt Action
Monday, October 20U.S. Humanitarian Aid Going to ISIS?
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastThe Coming Swarm: Robotics on the Battlefield
- Paul Scharre, RCDefensePutin's Coup: Ukraine & the Fog of War
- Ben Judah, Politico MagazineSweden Hunting Stricken Russian Submarine?
- Joe Trevithick, WIB8 Ways for Vets to Win Any Election
- Christopher Ingram, Task & PurposeNational Security Fears May Decide Senate Majority
- Molly O'Toole, D1The Myth of American Isolationism
- Peter Beinart, National JournalMacArthur Makes His Famous Return
- Pat Horan, RealClearHistoryDon't Make a Bad Deal with Iran
- Yuval Steinitz, New York TimesThe Obama-Khamenei Alliance
- Michael Ledeen, The HillNATO Tries to Define Cyber War
- Robert Morgus, RealClearWorldNATO Seeks More U.S. Ships
- David Larter, Navy TimesPutting the Defense in Missile Defense
- William C. Johnson, RCDefense5 Challenges Will Decide Afghanistan's Future
- Zalmay Khalilzad, TNIThe Case for Arming Rebels
- Lionel Beehner, Cicero MagazineHow ISIS Changed: From Guerrillas to Conquerors
- Justin Bronk, CNNHow About Some Unconventional Warfare on ISIS?
- Clint Watts, WOTR
Sunday, October 195 Places Where World War III Could Break Out
- James Hardy, Natl IntLincoln as War President
- Mackubin Thomas Owens, National ReviewRelics from a War Frozen in Time
- Michele Gravino, National GeographicThe Burp Gun Was Ugly, But Damn Did It Spray Lead
- Paul Huard, WIBCarrier Switch Reveals the Navy's Struggles
- Lance Bacon, Navy TimesThe NSA's Moonlighting Problem
- Allen McDuffee, The AtlanticThe U.S. Can't Outsource Warfighting
- James Holmes, The DiplomatIs Pakistan in ISIS' Crosshairs?
- Christine Fair, Boston ReviewWhy Containment Is a Myth
- James Carafano, Defense OneThere's Only One Way to Beat ISIS
- Leslie Gelb, Daily BeastICMYI: Next Cluster Bomb
| Waste on Purpose?
| U.S. Needs the Army
Saturday, October 185 Star Trek Weapons the Military Wishes It Had
- Michael Peck, Natl IntFew Weapons Have Inspired a Poem. This Gun Did.
- Paul Huard, WIB7 Bad Endings to the New Middle East War
- Peter Van Buren, TomDispatchNavy Grounds Top Guns
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastNasty SHB: The Ultimate Carrier Break
- Paco Chierici, Fighter SweepNavy Hawkeye Gets Larger, Lethal Role
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe Italian Military to the Rescue!
- Beppe Severgnini, New York TimesSoutheast Asia's Emerging Amphibious Forces
- Koh Collin, The DiplomatEven Containment Needs Boots on the Ground
- Jerry Meyerle, Defense 1How to Cover the Islamic State and Survive
- Joel Simon, Washington Post
Friday, October 17Karl Rove Covered Up Iraq's Real WMD
- Eli Lake, Daily BeastWhen the Ayatollah Said No to Nukes
- Gareth Porter, Foreign PolicyWhen America Needs Its Army, It'll Need It Bad
- Daniel Goure, EW BlogArmy Should Pursue a Counter-A2/AD Mission
- Rep. Randy Forbes, TNIU.S. Turns A2/AD Guns on China?
- James Holmes, The DiplomatChina: Sharpening Swords for War?
- Richard Russell, National InterestChina Strikes Back!
- Orville Schell, New York Review of BooksThe Army Gets It. Now Can the Lesson Stick?
- Janine Davidson, CFRElectronic Warfare Is a Weapon, But Cyber Is Sexier
- S. Freedberg, BDThe Drones of the World Wars
- Steve Weintz, War Is BoringThis Could Be the Future of Battlefield Robotics
- Patrick Tucker, Defense 1Like It Or Not, Containment Is What It Is
- Thomas Karako, Defense OneObama Needs to Dial Back His Syria Strategy
- Fareed Zakaria, Wash Post
Thursday, October 16The Perils of Limiting Our Wars
- Kori Schake, War on the RocksChina's Navy Already Challenging U.S. in Asia
- James Holmes, DiplomatUSAF's Terrifying Cluster Bomb Replacement
- James Drew, War Is Boring5 Reasons Army Won't Be Ready for the Next War
- L. Thompson, ForbesSmall Drones: The IEDs of the Next War
- Daniel Goure, Early WarningClear Strategic Thinking About Drones
- MAJ Matt Cavanaugh, War CouncilHagel Devises New Mission for the Army
- Paul McLeary, Army TimesParrying the 21st Century First Salvo
- Information DisseminationThe Evolving Role of Women in the Military
- Rachel Brune, Task&PurposeLessons of Russian History Must Not Be Silenced
- Editorial, Wash PostKim Jong Un, Authority & a Debilitated King
- Rod Lyon, ASPI StrategistThe Varnish of Vietnam
- Gordon Adams, Foreign PolicyMission Against ISIS Gets a Name
- Howard Altman, Tampa TribuneISIS and BS
- Amal Ghandour, Daily BeastFighting ISIS For Us, Too
- George Packer, New YorkerSyria: The Danger of Fighting Both Sides at Once
- John Allen Gay, TNIWhat U.S. Boots on the Ground Could Do
- Brian Jenkins, Defense One
Wednesday, October 15Secret Victims of Iraq's Chemical Weapons
- C.J. Chivers, New York TimesIraqi Chemical Weapons Don't Prove Bush Was Right
- J. Schulberg, TNRObama Faces Pressure to Escalate in Iraq, Syria
- David Ignatius, WaPoAmerica's Fatal Blunder Against ISIS
- Ted Galen Carpenter, Natl InterestIran's Dark Knight Rises
- Siobhan O'Grady, Foreign PolicyThe Middle East Doesn't Matter
- Scott McConnell, American ConservativeOffset Strategies & Warfighting Regimes
- Shawn Brimley, WarOnTheRocksOdierno's Army Is Busier, More Far-Flung
- Kathleen Curthoys, ArmyTimesThe Army's Answer to Its Identity Crisis
- Jordain Carney, National JournalThe Myth of Japanese Remilitarization
- Glosserman & Kang, Natl InterestNATO's New Plan for Afghanistan
- Joe Trevithick, War Is BoringWhat We Don't Know and Why
- Michael Ledeen, The HillObama Is the True Master of Unilateral War
- Goldsmith & Waxman, TNRISIS Has a Bigger Coalition Than We Do
- Michael Daly, Daily BeastObama's Working with the Wrong Partners in Iraq
- Bing West, Defense 1Obama's ISIS Strategy Drifts Toward Assad
- Max Fisher, VoxCIA Study Finds Arming Rebels Rarely Works
- Mark Mazzetti, NY Times
Tuesday, October 14Pentagon's Secret Space Drone Coming Home
- Dave Majumdar, Dly BeastSilencers Lead to Web of Pentagon Secrets
- Craig Whitlock, Wash PostWaste: America's Secret Deterrence Strategy?
- Dan Ward, War Is BoringNew Weapons Spell Death for Drones
- Colin Clark, Breaking DefenseU.S. Land-Based Missiles to Counter China?
- Evan Montgomery, Natl IntChina's Dangerous Game
- Howard French, The AtlanticThe Fall of Kobane: The Turks, Kurds & the U.S.
- Chase Winter, WOTRF-22 Over Syria: Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Eric Jorgensen, Cicero MagU.S. Needs a More Aggressive ISIS Strategy Now
- John Nagl, Politico MagA Pivotal Moment for the U.S. Nuclear Arsenal
- Adam Mount, CFRConventional Deterrence Needs Forward Presence
- Info. DisseminationStop Sequestering Defense
- Ron Haskins & Michael O'Hanlon, Defense NewsArmy Configures Apaches for Sea Duty
- Kris Osborn, DOD BuzzBell Unveils New "Valor" Tiltrotor
- Michelle Tan, Army TimesThe Army's Next Engine War
- Marcus Weisgerber, Defense OneSwimming with Warlords
- Kevin Sites, VICE NewsMy Terrifying Night with Afghanistan's Female Warlord
- Jen Percy, TNR
Monday, October 13The 5 Best Bombers of All Time
- Robert Farley, National InterestThe A-10's Forgotten Nazi Past
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastThe Russian Missiles That Have the Navy Worried
- A. Tarantola, GizmodoArmy Should Build Ship-Killer Missiles?
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe F-35 Was Built to Fight ISIS
- Jonathan Miller, Cicero MagazineA Large-Scale Raid to Take Out ISIS
- Gary Anderson, New York PostIran: Bigger and Badder than ISIS?
- Andrew Nikolic, ASPI StrategistFrance, UK Shaping Future Fleets
- Tran & Chuter, Defense NewsHot SAC Memories of the Cold War
- Robin Caudell, Press-RepublicanLaura Poitras's Closeup View of Snowden
- George Packer, New Yorker