RealClearDefense Morning Edition
Tuesday, September 30For Wounded Soldier, a Better Side of America
- Dana Milbank, Wash PostDon't Obsess Over Islamic State
- William Hawkins, Defense NewsObama's Mixed Messages on War
- Jonah Goldberg, Los Angeles TimesSpies Feel Obama Is Throwing Them Under the Bus
- Shane Harris, FPDemoralized Drone Crews Booed Their Commander
- David Axe, WIBMaking Exoskeletons Work for the Navy
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe World Is on Fire: Where Is the U.S. Army?
- Macgregor & Kim, SWJNuclear Deterrence Back on the Policy Menu
- Bill Sweetman, AvWeekChina & Japan: World's Most Dangerous Rivalry
- Lyle Goldstein, Natl IntSeeking Global Role, German Military Stumbles
- Alison Smale, NY TimesThe Guns of August: WWI's Peerless Chronicle
- James Warren, Dly BeastA Private Tour of the CIA's Incredible Museum
- David Wise, SmithsonianIf Intel Is Wrong on ISIS, Is It Wrong on Iran?
- L. Smith, Weekly StandardIs It Time to Revive the Powell Doctrine?
- Chris Miller, Cicero MagazineFor ISIS, Slaughter Is an End in Itself
- Roger Cohen, New York TimesDefense Elections: Alaska
| N.C.Follow RealClearDefense:
On Twitter @RCDefense
and on Facebook
Monday, September 29What Happens When ISIS Comes Home?
- Akil Awan, National Interest7 Awful Reasons for Bypassing Congress on ISIS
- W. James Antle, AC5 Weapons Vietnam Needs to Take on China
- Kyle Mizokami, RCDefenseMeet the Zumwalt: Navy's New Stealth Destroyer
- C. Cavas, Navy TimesThe Aircraft That Inspired the A-10
- Michael Peck, War Is BoringThe Army Needs More Drill Sergeants
- Michelle Tan, Army TimesArmy Rethinks the Human Elements of War
- Loren Thompson, LexingtonAirSea Battle: Deterrent or Provocation?
- Erik Slavin, Stars and StripesAsymmetric Warfare Goes Both Ways
- Eric Jorgensen, Cicero MagazineManned and Unmanned Battle
- Information DisseminationMaritime Mercenaries or Innovative Defense?
- John-Clark Levin, WOTRThe Superpower Meets the Global Swing State
- Daniel Twining, FPObama Can't Keep Ignoring Assad
- Jackson Diehl, Washington PostIraq & the Long War Against ISIS
- Bernard Gwertzman & Ryan Crocker, CFRIraq's Army Woos Deserters Back to War
- Kirk Semple, New York Times
Sunday, September 28Why the Latte Salute Matters
- Ed Rogers, Washington PostLet's Chill on the Latte Salute Silliness
- Editorial, Military TimesA Warning for the U.S. on Syria's Rebels
- Hannah Allam, McClatchyChina Thinks It Can Defeat America in Battle
- David Axe, War Is BoringChina Thinks It Can Defeat America Without Battle
- Joseph Bosco, RCDChina and India: Partners or Rivals?
- Li & Tyson, National InterestIndia, Vietnam & $100M in Defense Credit
- A. Karambelkar, The DiplomatFight Club: Israel Nuke Edition
- Jeffrey Lewis, Foreign PolicyVets Need to Share the Moral Burden of War
- Sebastian Junger, Wash PostThe Intellectual Battle vs. ISIS
- Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, ProjSyn
Saturday, September 27Obama's Imperial About-Face on War
- Michael Cohen, Boston GlobeThe Khorasan Group Does Not Exist
- Andrew McCarthy, National ReviewWhy Is the U.S. Yielding to Iran Now?
- David Frum, The AtlanticIran's Dinner Diplomacy
- Robin Wright, New YorkerNavy May Battle Mines with Quadcopter Drones
- Ryan Faith, VICE NewsIn the Army, Everyone's Got to Change
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe Department of Homeland Security Is Broken
- Matthew Gault, WIBChina and the ISIS Threat
- Gary Sands, The DiplomatHow to Cut Off ISIS Terror Tycoons
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastThe Syrian Opposition's Rebel Yell
- Shane Harris, Foreign PolicyBreaking Down America's Air War Over Syria
- Daniel DePetris, Natl IntWhy Obama's "No Boots" Assurance Isn't Reassuring
- Rosa Brook, WaPo
Friday, September 26Jihad by the Book
- David Ignatius, Washington PostMission Relaunched: America & the Islamic State
- The Economist3 Opportunities for Better U.S.-India Defense Ties
- Hemal Shah, DiploChina's Deadly Miscalculation in the Making
- Joseph Bosco, RCDefenseGoing Rogue: China's Real Military Threat
- Gordon Chang, Natl InterestAsia's Military Shopping Spree in Japan
- Kyle Mizokami, VICE NewsWounded Warrior Project Under Fire
- Tim Mak, Daily BeastArmy Contemplates Its Future Amid Crises
- Sandra Erwin, Natl DefenseIt's Time to Rein in Nuclear Spending
- Canterbury & Reif, Defense OneThe Strategic Power of Small Acts
- Levi West, ASPI StrategistIs Syria a Pay-to-Play Conflict?
- Daniel Altman, Foreign PolicyBehind the Mystery of Khorasan
- Michael Crowley, TimeISIS & George Kennan's Americanasaurus
- John Cassidy, New YorkerObama's Containment-Plus Strategy
- Charles Krauthammer, Natl Review
Thursday, September 255 ISIS Weapons of War America Should Fear
- Robert Farley, Natl InterestObama Goes to War with Weapons He Scrapped
- Investor's Business DailySpace Bubbles Caused a Deadly Afghan Battle?
- David Shultz, ScienceThe Chinese War Machine
- Kyle Mizokami, War Is BoringWill Iran Sell Out al-Qaeda for Nukes?
- Josh Rogin & Eli Lake, Daily BeastIran's Ballistic Missiles: Threading the Needle
- John Allen Gay, WOTRIran's President Is Still the Ayatollah's Man
- Matthew McInnis, RCWorldThe Unaffordable Arsenal
- Tom Collina, Foreign PolicyWas That a Lackluster F-22 Debut?
- Amy Butler, Aviation Week5th Generation Fighters: Proceed with Caution
- Edward Hunt, Jane'sMarine Corps Goes Back to the Beach
- Joe Gould, Defense NewsDon't Go Back to Traditional Amphibious Warfare
- Trevor Howell, MCGHagel's Right Hand-Man on Acquisition
- Marcus Weisgerber, Defense OneHow Congress Cut and Ran on Syria
- Bruce Ackerman, Politico MagazineA Terror Cell That Avoided the Spotlight
- Mark Mazzetti, New York TimesObama & the War Machine
- John Cassidy, New Yorker6 Speeches & the Evolution of a President
- George Condon, Natl Journal
Wednesday, September 24Containment: The Best Strategy Against ISIS
- Dov Zakheim, Natl InterestI Was a Pair of Boots on the Ground in Iraq
- Clay Hanna, Politico MagazineWhy We Should Still Care About Benghazi
- Benjamin Runkle, WOTRCould America Lose Its Superpower Status?
- Daniel Goure, Early WarningChina Thinks It Can Defeat America in Battle
- David Axe, War Is BoringChina's Weaponized Crab Walker Robots
- Lin & Singer, Eastern ArsenalDefense Policy & Industry in Australia
- Michael Clifford, ASPI StrategistU.S. Military vs. Ebola: Lessons from the Asia-Pacific
- Frank Smith, DiploRussia's Black Sea Buildup
- Douglas Ernst, Washington TimesTime to Take Chemical Weapons More Seriously
- Dan Kaszeta, CiceroPentagon Seeks a Culture of Innovation
- Sandra Erwin, National DefenseThe GOP's 2016 Foreign Policy Problem
- Josh Kraushaar, National JournalISIS Crisis
- Thomas Friedman, New York TimesWhy Drones Don't Cut It in Syria
- Robert Caruso, Daily BeastA War Strategy Takes Shape
- David Ignatius, Washington PostObama's Airstrikes Might Be Unexpectedly Effective
- Fred Kaplan, SlateA Maze of Arab Motivations in Fighting ISIS
- J. Schulberg, New Republic
Tuesday, September 23F-35: Coming in for a Crash Landing?
- Kevin Boyd, National InterestWhen the French "Shot Down" an F-22
- David Axe, War Is BoringISIS War: This Is Not Vietnam
- Julian Zelizer, CNNHow ISIS Ripped Off Natural Born Killers
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastOdierno Wonders if Post-9/11 Were Worth It
- Mark Thompson, TimeWhere's This 'Non-Military Solution' in Iraq?
- Sarah Chayes, Defense OneHow to Assess Risk in a World of Threats
- Eric Jorgensen, Cicero MagazineGitmo Is Crumbling Into Ruins
- Jessica Schulberg, New RepublicMore Defense Dollars Now
- Editorial, National ReviewChallenging Army Force Design
- Degen & Spencer, Small Wars JounalTransformation Awaits Marine Aviation in 2015
- Harkins & Stewart, MCTWhat the U.S., NATO Must Do to Counter Russia
- Sydney Freedberg, BDWhat China Should Learn from Russia in Ukraine
- Ali Wyne, WOTRWhy Spying on China Isn't Enough
- Shannon Tiezzi, The DiplomatMeet Kim Jong Un's New Nuclear Warriors
- Michael Madden, FP
Monday, September 22Should U.S. Fear China's Carrier-Killer Missile?
- Robert Farley, Natl IntShadow General Could Decide Obama's War
- Rogin & Lake, Daily BeastU.S. Ramping Up Major Renewal in Nuclear Arms
- Broad & Sanger, NYTTime to Update Military Academy Nominations
- Editorial, USA TodayOne Big Agency to Spy, Assassinate & Protect
- R. Caruso, Boston GlobeFixing Pentagon Intelligence
- John Schindler, XX CommitteeDepartment of Homeland Security in Crisis
- Washington Post3 Major Decisions Loom for the U.S. Navy
- Chris Cavas, Defense NewsHostage's Reluctant Acceptance of Global Hawk
- B. Everstine, AF TimesCan America Save the World Order?
- James Holmes, The DiplomatObama's Emerging Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Sally Kohn, CNNU.S. & Israel: Delusions of Our Diplomacy
- N. Thrall, NY Review of BooksTurbo Caribou Among World's Best, Rarest Airlifters
- David Axe, WIBThe Hunt for al-Zarqawi & the Power of We
- Stanley McChrystal, TimeIs COIN No Longer Relevant?
- Whitney Kassel, Cicero MagazineFor the Kurds, the Fight of Their Lives
- Dexter Filkins, New YorkerISIS Is Contained and That's Good Enough
- Christopher Bolan, WOTR
Sunday, September 21Grand Illusion in Syria
- Ross Douthat, New York TimesWhen the Pentagon Feared Israel's Nukes
- Robert Beckhusen, WIBIsrael's Strategy: Shooting Pool w/ a Bowling Ball
- B. Opall-Rome, DNWhat Is the Mysterious FBI Director Up To?
- Garrett Graff, PoliticoChinese Student Spies Overwhelm U.S.
- Joshua Philipp, Epoch TimesReviving Space-Based Missile Defense
- Marvin Schaffer, Natl DefenseArmy Looks to Add Minority Combat Officers
- T. Vanden Brook, USATA Swifter, Stronger, More Agile Foreign Policy
- Defense OneFive Ways ISIS & al-Qaeda Differ
- Kristina Wong, The HillWe Still Need to Defeat Assad, Not Just ISIS
- Lionel Beehner, CiceroICYMI: DOD's $800B Problem
| Flying Chernobyl
| 'Fixing' UCLASS
Saturday, September 20It's OK for Obama to Ignore Military Advice
- Lawrence Korb, Defense1Stealth Is Dead! Long Live Stealth!
- Joe Trevithick, War Is BoringThe Army Scrambles on Four Continents
- Sydney Freedberg, BDMossad's Greatest Female Assassin
- Ram Oren & Moti Kfir, Daily BeastThe Admiral's Revenge
- Se-Woong Koo, Foreign PolicyIndia's Artillery Procurement Saga
- Debalina Ghoshal, The DiplomatAl-Qaeda & the Importance of Seapower
- Information DisseminationClosing the Ends-Mean Gap in Iraq
- Doyle McManus, Los Angeles TimesA War by Any Other Name
- The EconomistWH vs. DOD on the Semantics of Combat
- Alexis Simendinger, RCP