RealClearDefense Morning Edition
Friday, October 31Russia Rehearsing Nuke Attacks?
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastWhat the Soviets Can Teach China About A2/AD
- Robert Farley, DiplomatAgainst a Tech-Centric Offset
- Jon Czarnecki, War on the RocksThe MG42 Machine Gun Was Hitler's Buzz Saw
- P. Huard, War Is BoringIs America's Defense Budget Too Small?
- James Carafano, Natl InterestIntelligence: Doing Way More w/ Much Less
- Marshall Erwin, Overt ActionIs Gen. John Allen Over His Head?
- Mark Perry, Foreign PolicyRevenge of the COIN Doctrine
- Kelley Vlahos, American ConservativeThe Key Iranian to a Nuclear Deal?
- David Ignatius, Washington PostRussia Is Winning the Intel War in Ukraine
- Mark Galeotti, Foreign AffairsDefense Elections: Alaska
| N.C.Follow RealClearDefense:
On Twitter @RCDefense
and on Facebook
Thursday, October 30Time Running Out for Obama on Syria
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastDefense Cuts to Blame for Friendly Fire Deaths?
- R. Scarborough, WTThe Horrific Effectiveness of Flamethrowers
- Paul Huard, War Is BoringThe Granddaddy of Today's Drones
- Sarah Laskow, The AtlanticHow China Sees America's Moves in Asia
- Lyle Goldstein, National InterestNorth Korea's Sea-Based Ballistic Missiles?
- Joseph Bermudez, 38 NorthIs Vietnam in Denial on Military Strategy
- Shang-su Wu, East Asia ForumAmerica Has Not Lost the Will to Lead
- Stephen Hadley, SMHHagel: Get Ready for Endless War
- David Graham, The AtlanticThe Air Force Is Leading the Ebola Fight
- Janine Davidson, CFRRule #1 and the Cult of Invulnerability
- Information DisseminationInnovation Warfare & America's Military Edge
- Harrison, et al., WOTR
Wednesday, October 29Wishful Thinking in U.S. Plans Against ISIS
- David Ignatius, Wash PostCrisis in U.S.-Israel Relations Is Officially Here
- Jeffrey Goldberg, AtlanticBaltic States Study How to Beat Russian Tanks
- Robert Beckhusen, WIBLessons from Sweden's Sub Hunt
- Magnus Nordenman, USNI NewsThe Last Time China & America Went to War
- Robert Farley, Natl InterestThe Pendulum and the President
- David Rothkopf, Foreign PolicyMilitary Spouses Rip Obama on Ebola Comments
- Kristina Wong, The HillU.S. Should Shut Down Africa Command
- Movasatt & Bock-Luna, WIBAn Inspiring Plea for Creativity in the Military
- Elliot Ackerman, TNRHow DOD Is Trying to Save Innovation
- S. Freedberg, Breaking Defense10 Tips for Bridging the CIV/MIL Divide
- Gary Owen, MediumISIS and Vietnam
- Thomas Friedman, New York TimesStrategic Overstretch & the Jihadist Generation Gap
- Mark Stout, WOTRThe ISIS Guide to Shooting Down Apaches
- T. Gibbons-Neff, Checkpoint
Tuesday, October 28Most Powerful Militaries in the Middle East
- Rosen, Bender & Macias, BI60 Year-Old U.S. Bomber Gets a Facelift
- Bill Sweetman, Daily BeastThe Man Steering a Revived Royal Navy
- Vago Muradian, Defense NewsGripen Fighters Won't Save Argentina's Air Force
- David Axe, WIBRethinking Taiwan's Submarine Dream
- Evan B. Montgomery, RCDefenseBase Hardening: Playing Fort Against China?
- Kazianis & Stillion, Natl IntWill U.S. Military Return to the Philippines?
- Jason Strother, WorldcrunchThe New Era of Disorder
- Richard Haass, Project SyndicateUnconstrained Grand Strategy
- Bryan McGrath, War on the RocksNeeds of Victory Should Determine Army's Size
- Eric Jorgensen, CiceroHow Hawks Plan to Kill Obama's Iran Deal
- Trita Parsi, ReutersWhy the Iran Nuke Talks Might Fail
- Maysam Behravesh, The DiplomatHas a Deal with Iran Stalled?
- Jennifer Rubin, Washington PostISIS & the Black Market Antiquities Trade
- Howard, Prohov & Elliott, USNIThe Islamic State's Army of Child Soldiers
- Kate Brannen, Foreign Policy
Monday, October 27Obama's Team of Bumblers?
- Michael Hirsh, Politico MagazineA GOP Senate vs. Obama on National Security
- Martin Matishak, The HillCan China Rise Peacefully?
- John Mearsheimer, National InterestThe M-4 Sherman Tank Was Hell on Wheels
- Paul Huard, War Is BoringWest Point Recruited Athletes with Booze, Women
- T. Roeder, CS GazetteThe Army May Be Drawing Down Too Fast
- Jim Tice, Army TimesKnife Fights: The Practice of Modern War
- Manea & Nagl, Small Wars JrnlGive Unconventional War a Chance
- Jan Gleiman, ASPI StrategistWhat a Spate of Lone Wolf Attacks Means
- D. Gartenstein-Ross, WOTRLocal Food for the Military
- Eva Clayton, New York TimesWhat Was a Russian Sub Doing in Swedish Waters?
- John Kuehn, CiceroSending Weapons to Ukraine Would Be Terrible
- Michael Kofman, QuartzU.S. Nuclear Arsenal Due for Modernization
- C. Hoskinson, ExaminerJapan Responds to China's A2/AD Strategy
- Paul Kallender-Umezu, DNU.S. P-8s Snoop on China's Nuclear Submarines
- Jeremy Page, WSJComfort at Heart of Navy's New Supercarrier
- Lance Bacon, Navy TimesFrance's Navy Plans to Dominate the Seas
- Pierre Tran, Defense News
Sunday, October 265 Best U.S. Fighter Aircraft of All Time
- Michael Peck, National InterestChina's Submarines Add Nuclear Strike Capability
- Jeremy Page, WSJOne Easy Way to Blow $7.6 Billion
- Matthew Gault, War Is BoringMexican Drug Cartels Are Worse Than ISIS
- Musa al-Gharbi, Al JazeeraLibya Has Become the Latest ISIS Conquest
- Noman Benotman, TelegraphISIS, Assad & the USA: The Decisive Battle
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastThe Line Between Terrorism & Mental Illness
- Jeet Heer, New YorkerU.S. Girds for More Unconventional Warfare
- Joe Gould, Defense NewsA Brief History of Grooming in the U.S. Navy
- USNI NewsThe Myth of India as a Great Power
- Rajan Menon, National InterestThe Roadmap to Closing a Nuclear Deal with Iran
- Steve LeVine, QuartzDon't Accept Putin's Version of History
- Anne Applebaum, SlateICMYI: China Hacks America
| Keeping 'Fury' Real
| Let's Talk Nukes
Saturday, October 25The 5 Best Submarines of All Time
- Robert Farley, National InterestGeneral Dempsey to the Rescue
- Mark Perry, Politico MagazineNorway's Killer Robot Missile Under Fire
- The LocalEurope's Blinding Moment of Strategic Clarity
- Andrew Michta, AIChina's Aircraft Carrier Is in Trouble
- Robert Beckhusen, War Is BoringRelax, China's Aircraft Carrier Is Fine
- James Holmes, The DiplomatNavy Makes Submarines Quieter, More Stealthy
- K. Osborn, Defense TechYou Spot, I Shoot: Aegis Ships Kill Target Together
- S. Freedberg, BDSomething for Everyone in Army Operating Concept
- Brad Hardy, T&P6,000 Afghan Interpreters Stuck in Limbo
- Brooking & Davidson, CFRLone Wolves and Terrorist Runts
- Jacob Siegel, Daily BeastCan This Drone Bring Peace to Ukraine?
- Patrick Tucker, Defense OneKissinger the Constructivist
- Marc Lynch, Washington PostWhere Americans Turned the Tide in World War I
- Richard Rubin, NYTHas ISIS Crossed a New Red Line?
- Adam Chandler, The AtlanticWhole Point of the Syrian War Is to Topple Assad
- Zack Baddorf, WIBObama Gives Assad Another Pass on Chemical Weapons
- Wash Post
Friday, October 245 Biggest Disasters in U.S. Military History
- Robert Farley, Natl InterestThe Imploding U.S. Strategy in the ISIS War?
- Anthony Cordesman, CSISIraq and the U.S. Are Losing Ground to ISIS
- David Ignatius, Wash PostCrucial Year for Navy's New Nuke Sub
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe CNO Is Wrong on 7-Month Deployments
- Information DisseminationShould the U.S. Proliferate A2/AD in Asia?
- Ankit Panda, The DiplomatWhat Future for Australia's Defense Industry?
- Graeme Dobell, StrategistStephen Harper & Canadian Security
- Jeremy Keehn, New YorkerThe Case for Conservative Realism
- Sen. Rand Paul, National InterestStudies Link Mental Issues, Rigor of Military
- Benedict Carey, NY TimesPentagon Still Needs More Eyes in the Sky
- Marcus Weisgerber, Defense 1How We Lost Touch with Our Friends in Iraq
- Andrew Lembke, WOTRSyrian Rebels Oppose New U.S. War Strategy
- John Hudson, FPThe World's Wealthiest Terrorists
- Russell Berman, The AtlanticDo We Understand Unconventional Warfare?
- David Maxwell, Small WarsU.S. Needs Strategy to Counter Hybrid Warfare
- Robert Newson, CFR
Thursday, October 23Will U.S. Stealth Destroyer Stay Afloat?
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastSuper Highway: Parry's Seapower Primer
- Matt Hipple, War on the RocksIt's Time to Talk About Nukes Again
- Spalding & Lowther, RealClearDefenseThe New Missiles of October
- Victor Davis Hanson, Washington TimesDavid vs. Goliath in the South China Sea
- Richard Javad Heydarian, TNISteadying Allied Defenses in Korea
- Klingner & O'Hanlon, Brookings InstThe Concrete Battleship
- Steve Weintz, War Is BoringThe Army Gropes Toward a Cultural Revolution
- Sydney Freedberg, BDFully Integrated Conventional & Special Ops Forces?
- Mike Rauhut, CFRThe Air Force's Quiet Energy Revolution
- Deborah Lee James, Defense OneBreaking the Cycle of Debt for Troops, Families
- Tammy Duckworth, MTTaliban Rising Again in Afghanistan's North
- Azam Ahmed, NY TimesHow Big Is the Canadian Terror Network?
- Mak, Lake & Siegel, Daily Beast
Wednesday, October 22Get Ready for Iraq War IV
- John Nagl, Foreign PolicyDisturbing Similarities: Iraq in 2006 and 2014
- Daniel DePetris, Natl IntChina Hacks Away at U.S. Military Superiority
- Eaglen & Morrison, RCDChina's Aircraft Carrier Is Having Trouble
- R. Beckhusen, War Is BoringAn Act of War? The Law of Naval Mining
- Scott Truver, War on the RocksSweden Calls Sub's Breach of Waters F****d Up
- Elias Groll, Foreign PolicyHow to Survive a Shrinking Army
- Andrew Steadman, Task & PurposeShould Obama Take North Korea's Bait?
- Gordon Chang, Daily BeastIs Restraint a Realistic Grand Strategy?
- Michael Page, Cicero MagazineHow Big a Nuclear Arsenal Do We Really Need?
- Joe Cirincione, LA Times
Tuesday, October 21Is the Tide About to Turn Against ISIS?
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily Beast10 Disruptive Technologies Amid Global Instability
- Sandra Erwin, NDHow This Tank Expert Kept "Fury" Authentic
- Matthew Gault, WIBAmerica's Elusive Military Hero Gets His Due
- Michael Kimmage, TNRLeyte Gulf: The Death of the Japanese Empire
- James Holmes, Natl IntLand of the Free Because of the Brave
- David Mattingly, War on the RocksNavy Takes Different Approach to Painting Vessels
- Robert McCabe, PilotThe Political Perils of Offshore Balancing
- Chris Mclachlan, The DiplomatHow Gough Remade Australian Defense
- Graeme Dobell, ASPI StrategistEllsworth AFB Dragged Into Senate Race
- Seth Tupper, Rapid City JournalHow Obama Can Tidy Up a Messy World
- Armitage & Bue, USA TodayDoubling Down on Disaster in Syria
- Michael Weiss & Faysal Itani, PoliticoHow to Financially Starve ISIS
- Naina Bajekal, TimeBiometrics May Mean End of the Spy's Disguise
- Colin Clark, BDDemystifying American Intelligence
- Matthew Ferraro, Overt Action