RealClearDefense Morning Edition
Monday, October 20U.S. Humanitarian Aid Going to ISIS?
- Jamie Dettmer, Daily BeastThe Coming Swarm: Robotics on the Battlefield
- Paul Scharre, RCDefensePutin's Coup: Ukraine & the Fog of War
- Ben Judah, Politico MagazineSweden Hunting Stricken Russian Submarine?
- Joe Trevithick, WIB8 Ways for Vets to Win Any Election
- Christopher Ingram, Task & PurposeNational Security Fears May Decide Senate Majority
- Molly O'Toole, D1The Myth of American Isolationism
- Peter Beinart, National JournalMacArthur Makes His Famous Return
- Pat Horan, RealClearHistoryDon't Make a Bad Deal with Iran
- Yuval Steinitz, New York TimesThe Obama-Khamenei Alliance
- Michael Ledeen, The HillNATO Tries to Define Cyber War
- Robert Morgus, RealClearWorldNATO Seeks More U.S. Ships
- David Larter, Navy TimesPutting the Defense in Missile Defense
- William C. Johnson, RCDefense5 Challenges Will Decide Afghanistan's Future
- Zalmay Khalilzad, TNIThe Case for Arming Rebels
- Lionel Beehner, Cicero MagazineHow ISIS Changed: From Guerrillas to Conquerors
- Justin Bronk, CNNHow About Some Unconventional Warfare on ISIS?
- Clint Watts, WOTRDefense Elections: Alaska
| N.C.Follow RealClearDefense:
On Twitter @RCDefense
and on Facebook
Sunday, October 195 Places Where World War III Could Break Out
- James Hardy, Natl IntLincoln as War President
- Mackubin Thomas Owens, National ReviewRelics from a War Frozen in Time
- Michele Gravino, National GeographicThe Burp Gun Was Ugly, But Damn Did It Spray Lead
- Paul Huard, WIBCarrier Switch Reveals the Navy's Struggles
- Lance Bacon, Navy TimesThe NSA's Moonlighting Problem
- Allen McDuffee, The AtlanticThe U.S. Can't Outsource Warfighting
- James Holmes, The DiplomatIs Pakistan in ISIS' Crosshairs?
- Christine Fair, Boston ReviewWhy Containment Is a Myth
- James Carafano, Defense OneThere's Only One Way to Beat ISIS
- Leslie Gelb, Daily BeastICMYI: Next Cluster Bomb
| Waste on Purpose?
| U.S. Needs the Army
Saturday, October 185 Star Trek Weapons the Military Wishes It Had
- Michael Peck, Natl IntFew Weapons Have Inspired a Poem. This Gun Did.
- Paul Huard, WIB7 Bad Endings to the New Middle East War
- Peter Van Buren, TomDispatchNavy Grounds Top Guns
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastNasty SHB: The Ultimate Carrier Break
- Paco Chierici, Fighter SweepNavy Hawkeye Gets Larger, Lethal Role
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe Italian Military to the Rescue!
- Beppe Severgnini, New York TimesSoutheast Asia's Emerging Amphibious Forces
- Koh Collin, The DiplomatEven Containment Needs Boots on the Ground
- Jerry Meyerle, Defense 1How to Cover the Islamic State and Survive
- Joel Simon, Washington Post
Friday, October 17Karl Rove Covered Up Iraq's Real WMD
- Eli Lake, Daily BeastWhen the Ayatollah Said No to Nukes
- Gareth Porter, Foreign PolicyWhen America Needs Its Army, It'll Need It Bad
- Daniel Goure, EW BlogArmy Should Pursue a Counter-A2/AD Mission
- Rep. Randy Forbes, TNIU.S. Turns A2/AD Guns on China?
- James Holmes, The DiplomatChina: Sharpening Swords for War?
- Richard Russell, National InterestChina Strikes Back!
- Orville Schell, New York Review of BooksThe Army Gets It. Now Can the Lesson Stick?
- Janine Davidson, CFRElectronic Warfare Is a Weapon, But Cyber Is Sexier
- S. Freedberg, BDThe Drones of the World Wars
- Steve Weintz, War Is BoringThis Could Be the Future of Battlefield Robotics
- Patrick Tucker, Defense 1Like It Or Not, Containment Is What It Is
- Thomas Karako, Defense OneObama Needs to Dial Back His Syria Strategy
- Fareed Zakaria, Wash Post
Thursday, October 16The Perils of Limiting Our Wars
- Kori Schake, War on the RocksChina's Navy Already Challenging U.S. in Asia
- James Holmes, DiplomatUSAF's Terrifying Cluster Bomb Replacement
- James Drew, War Is Boring5 Reasons Army Won't Be Ready for the Next War
- L. Thompson, ForbesSmall Drones: The IEDs of the Next War
- Daniel Goure, Early WarningClear Strategic Thinking About Drones
- MAJ Matt Cavanaugh, War CouncilHagel Devises New Mission for the Army
- Paul McLeary, Army TimesParrying the 21st Century First Salvo
- Information DisseminationThe Evolving Role of Women in the Military
- Rachel Brune, Task&PurposeLessons of Russian History Must Not Be Silenced
- Editorial, Wash PostKim Jong Un, Authority & a Debilitated King
- Rod Lyon, ASPI StrategistThe Varnish of Vietnam
- Gordon Adams, Foreign PolicyMission Against ISIS Gets a Name
- Howard Altman, Tampa TribuneISIS and BS
- Amal Ghandour, Daily BeastFighting ISIS For Us, Too
- George Packer, New YorkerSyria: The Danger of Fighting Both Sides at Once
- John Allen Gay, TNIWhat U.S. Boots on the Ground Could Do
- Brian Jenkins, Defense One
Wednesday, October 15Secret Victims of Iraq's Chemical Weapons
- C.J. Chivers, New York TimesIraqi Chemical Weapons Don't Prove Bush Was Right
- J. Schulberg, TNRObama Faces Pressure to Escalate in Iraq, Syria
- David Ignatius, WaPoAmerica's Fatal Blunder Against ISIS
- Ted Galen Carpenter, Natl InterestIran's Dark Knight Rises
- Siobhan O'Grady, Foreign PolicyThe Middle East Doesn't Matter
- Scott McConnell, American ConservativeOffset Strategies & Warfighting Regimes
- Shawn Brimley, WarOnTheRocksOdierno's Army Is Busier, More Far-Flung
- Kathleen Curthoys, ArmyTimesThe Army's Answer to Its Identity Crisis
- Jordain Carney, National JournalThe Myth of Japanese Remilitarization
- Glosserman & Kang, Natl InterestNATO's New Plan for Afghanistan
- Joe Trevithick, War Is BoringWhat We Don't Know and Why
- Michael Ledeen, The HillObama Is the True Master of Unilateral War
- Goldsmith & Waxman, TNRISIS Has a Bigger Coalition Than We Do
- Michael Daly, Daily BeastObama's Working with the Wrong Partners in Iraq
- Bing West, Defense 1Obama's ISIS Strategy Drifts Toward Assad
- Max Fisher, VoxCIA Study Finds Arming Rebels Rarely Works
- Mark Mazzetti, NY Times
Tuesday, October 14Pentagon's Secret Space Drone Coming Home
- Dave Majumdar, Dly BeastSilencers Lead to Web of Pentagon Secrets
- Craig Whitlock, Wash PostWaste: America's Secret Deterrence Strategy?
- Dan Ward, War Is BoringNew Weapons Spell Death for Drones
- Colin Clark, Breaking DefenseU.S. Land-Based Missiles to Counter China?
- Evan Montgomery, Natl IntChina's Dangerous Game
- Howard French, The AtlanticThe Fall of Kobane: The Turks, Kurds & the U.S.
- Chase Winter, WOTRF-22 Over Syria: Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Eric Jorgensen, Cicero MagU.S. Needs a More Aggressive ISIS Strategy Now
- John Nagl, Politico MagA Pivotal Moment for the U.S. Nuclear Arsenal
- Adam Mount, CFRConventional Deterrence Needs Forward Presence
- Info. DisseminationStop Sequestering Defense
- Ron Haskins & Michael O'Hanlon, Defense NewsArmy Configures Apaches for Sea Duty
- Kris Osborn, DOD BuzzBell Unveils New "Valor" Tiltrotor
- Michelle Tan, Army TimesThe Army's Next Engine War
- Marcus Weisgerber, Defense OneSwimming with Warlords
- Kevin Sites, VICE NewsMy Terrifying Night with Afghanistan's Female Warlord
- Jen Percy, TNR
Monday, October 13The 5 Best Bombers of All Time
- Robert Farley, National InterestThe A-10's Forgotten Nazi Past
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastThe Russian Missiles That Have the Navy Worried
- A. Tarantola, GizmodoArmy Should Build Ship-Killer Missiles?
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseThe F-35 Was Built to Fight ISIS
- Jonathan Miller, Cicero MagazineA Large-Scale Raid to Take Out ISIS
- Gary Anderson, New York PostIran: Bigger and Badder than ISIS?
- Andrew Nikolic, ASPI StrategistFrance, UK Shaping Future Fleets
- Tran & Chuter, Defense NewsHot SAC Memories of the Cold War
- Robin Caudell, Press-RepublicanLaura Poitras's Closeup View of Snowden
- George Packer, New Yorker
Sunday, October 12It's Time for a Nobel War Prize
- P.J. O'Rourke, Daily BeastWhy the Middle East Still Doesn't Matter
- Justin Logan, Politico MagazineGermany Can't Manage Its Weapons
- Peter Dorrie, War Is BoringChina's Military: What's New, What's Next?
- June Teufel Dreyer, FPRITo Save Navy's Next-Gen Drone, Kill It First
- Scharre & Brimley, Defense 1Is Real Defense Acquisition Reform Afoot?
- John Bennett, Defense NewsHow Syria Overwhelmed Obama's White House
- Rohde & Strobel, ReutersI.S. = Invasive Species
- Thomas Friedman, New York Times"Shock and Awe" the Islamic State
- James Holmes, The DiplomatThe Anti-ISIS Air Campaign Is Bigger Than You Think
- Daniel Goure, LexICYMI: Greatest Pistol Ever
| Freedom's AK-47
| The Big Air Campaign
Saturday, October 115 Greatest Artillery Pieces in History
- Michael Peck, National InterestNew Army Drawdown: This Time Is Far Worse
- G. Sullivan, Defense OneI'm Worried About Kim Jong Un
- Victor Cha, Politico MagazineWar Made C.S. Lewis
- Paul Huard, War Is BoringLet's Get the Old Blackwater Team Back Together
- Justine Drennan, FPSmall Steps to Save Afghan Gains
- Felbab-Brown, Neumann & Sedney, WPObama's Gitmo Provocation?
- Russell Berman, The AtlanticNavy's New Electronic Warfare Strategy
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseAir and Ground Robots Add Battlefield Capabilties
- David Eshel, AvWeekPentagon Revives Vietnam and War Over Truth
- Sheryl Gay Stolberg, NYT
Friday, October 10Erdogan's Double Game
- Charles Krauthammer, National ReviewMilitary Grumbles About ISIS War
- Dave Majumdar, Daily BeastStrikes Fail to Disrupt Khorasan's Terror Plots
- Ken Dilanian, Assoc PressIs Russia's Massive Military Modernization Over?
- Nikolas Gvosdev, TNIMuch Ado About "Killer" Drones
- Information DisseminationA Better Plan for Army Aviation
- David Baldwin & Jeff Burton, Army TimesArmies Worldwide Adapt Operations to New Demands
- Aviation WeekNavy Eyes New Anti-Ship Missile
- David Larter, Navy TimesRoyal Navy Sends Its Weirdest Ship to Fight Ebola
- David Axe, WIBIndia's Own Pivot to Asia
- M. Kugelman & R. Vickery, The DiplomatWas Explosion at Iranian Military Base Sabotage?
- David Sanger, NYTNo Deal with Iran Is Better Than a Bad Deal
- Tzvi Kahn, U.S. NewsHow al-Qaeda & ISIS Use Twitter Differently
- Laura Ryan, Natl JournalTime for Turkey to Stop Denying the ISIS Threat
- Berivan Orucoglu, FPLet the Private Sector Finish ISIS
- Erik Prince, Frontier Services GroupWhen Bombs Aren't Enough
- Dexter Filkins, New YorkerThe Problem with America's Limited Wars
- David Ignatius, Wash Post