RealClearDefense Morning Edition
Saturday, December 20Sony Caved to Terror. No One Else Should
- Flemming Rose, NY TimesWhat Does a Cyber Counterattack Look Like?
- Joseph Marks, PoliticoWhy the U.S. Can't Punish North Korea
- Adam Chandler, The AtlanticTime for the U.S. Military to Leave South Korea
- Kyle Mizokami, WIBWelcome to China & America's Nuclear Nightmare
- Elbridge Colby, TNIChinese Maritime Activism: Strategy or Vagary?
- Ryan Martinson, DiploThe Ruin of Our Military Interrogators
- Deborah Pearlstein, Daily BeastThe Marines & 70 Years of Vertical Envelopment
- Info. DisseminationWith FY15 Budget, the Devil's in the Details
- Janine Davidson, CFRArmy, Guard on Collision Course for 2015
- S. Freedberg, Breaking DefenseFollow RealClearDefense:
On Twitter @RCDefense
and on Facebook
Friday, December 19A New "Super" F-35 to Rule the U.S. Military?
- Dave Majumdar, Natl IntHow to Fight the Lone Wolf
- Charles Krauthammer, National ReviewThe Unidentified Queen of Torture
- Jane Mayer, New YorkerRussia Seen from Within
- George Friedman, StratforAmerica's Craven Capitulation to Terror
- David Keyes, Daily BeastCaving to North Korea Sends Wrong Message
- Fareed Zakaria, Wash PostNorth Korea's Finest Hour
- Michael Hirsh, Politico MagazineCyber: North Korea's Ace Up the Sleeve?
- Ankit Panda, The DiplomatWhy Is Japanese Enlistment Falling?
- James Simpson, War Is BoringMinimizing Risk Is Army's 2015 Goal
- Jared Lieberher, Army MagazineObama's ISIS Strategy Is the Only Viable Option
- Joseph Becker, SWJSleepwalking as Nukes Spread
- Jane Harman, New York TimesU.S. Nuclear Forces in the 21st Century
- Drollette & Bracken, The Bulletin
Thursday, December 18China's Military Is About to Go Global
- Oriana Mastro, National InterestThe Pentagon's Floating Missile Defense Future
- A. Mulrine, CS MonitorThe Navy's New Robot Looks Just Like a Shark
- Jordan Golson, WiredThe Eleven Carrier Fleet Is Only Seven
- Craig Hooper, Next NavyIn Last Days of Afghanistan, Shadows of Vietnam
- Robert Newson, CFRTaliban's Peshawar Massacre Must Be Its Last
- Sethi & Taseer, NY TimesInside the CIA: When Interrogations Began
- Joseph DeTrani, Defense OneWhy the U.S. Doesn't Halt Hackers Immediately
- A. Sternstein, NextGovObama's 21st Century Foreign Policy
- Robin Wright, Wall Street JournalRe-Engagement with Cuba: The Strategic Calculus
- R. Evan Ellis, WOTR
Wednesday, December 17Global Conflicts to Watch in 2015
- Uri Friedman, The AtlanticU.S. May Get Dragged Into Pakistan's Next War
- Rogin & Lake, BloombergThe Man Who Killed the Bill to Combat Vet Suicide
- Stephen Carlson, T&PCould a P-51 Have Replaced the A-10?
- Joe Trevithick, War Is BoringEnduring Myth of the Fragile Battlecruiser
- Information DisseminationThe Answer to the Amphibious Prayer
- B.J. Armstrong, War on the RocksIs This the Flak Jacket of the Future?
- Patrick Tucker, Defense OneAsh Carter Knows India Well
- Seema Sirohi, The DiplomatA U.S.-China Reset?
- David Ignatius, Washington PostReal Chinese Dream: Control the South China Sea?
- Bonnie Glaser, TNI
Tuesday, December 16The Navy's 5 Most Lethal Weapons of War
- Kyle Mizokami, Natl InterestU.S. Almost Had a Nuclear-Armed Drone Bomber
- Adam Rawnsley, WIBAir Force Offset Strategy: F-35 Drone Fleets?
- C. Clark, Breaking DefenseHow the Torture Could Start Again
- Frederick Schwarz, Politico MagazineWere the Wars Worth the Cost?
- Andrew Tilghman, Military TimesElite Afghan Commandos Take Up Mission
- Drew Brooks, Fay ObserverRevisit Afghanistan's End Game Plan
- Bruce Riedel, Brookings InstitutionComing to the Bad End of a Good War
- Jack Fairweather, War on the RocksAsh Carter's Asia Plans
- Adam Tiffen, Defense OneThe Assault on China's South China Sea Claims
- Scott Cheney-Peters, USNI
Monday, December 15America's Military: Readiness on a Shoestring
- A. Tilghman, MilTimesPrepare for Cyber Armageddon
- Daniel Goure, Early WarningAbuse Photos Obama Doesn't Want You to See
- Shachtman & Mak, TDBISIS: The Inside Story
- Martin Chulov, The GuardianMeet the Women Kicking ISIS's Ass
- Susannah George, Daily BeastAUMF Against ISIS Should Be a Priority
- Editorial, Washington PostNSA Listened as China Shot Down U.S. Warplanes
- R. Beckhusen, WIBKajaki: A War Story with No Enemy
- Anthony King, War on the RocksAfghanistan: "This Is Not Over Yet"
- Jeong & Dyer, Financial TimesDoes Torture Work When Pakistan Does It?
- Eli Lake, Bloomberg ViewTorture in a Dick Cheney Minute
- Amy Davidson, New YorkerA Close Bond: The President & the CIA Chief
- Baker & Mazzetti, NY Times
Sunday, December 14Coburn Goes Too Far on Veterans Suicide Bill
- Montel Williams, Defense 1The Pentagon's Slush Fund
- Julia Harte, Politico MagazineThe Rise of Asia's Mini Marines
- Kyle Mizokami, War Is BoringWhy the Battle of the Bulge Still Matters
- Michael Peck, National InterestNavy Claims 13th Straight Against Army
- Associated PressReversibility in the Army: What Next?
- Nathan K. Finney, MediumStrategy Is a Habit
- James Holmes, The DiplomatA Blast from the Past in Grozny
- Anna Nemtsova, Foreign PolicyA Tortured Report
- Stephen Hayes & Thomas Joscelyn, Weekly StandardIf Torture Worked, Why Did the CIA Lie?
- David Cole, Washington Post
Saturday, December 135 Russian Weapons for an Arctic War
- Robert Farley, National InterestA Submarine Hunt Off Scotland
- Tony Osborne, Aviation WeekSyrian Rebels See U.S. Abandoning Them
- Josh Rogin, Bloomberg ViewLasers! What Are They Good For?
- James Holmes, The DiplomatStaying Ahead in the Air and Maritime Domains
- Shawn Brimley, WOTRChina Banned Export of Its New Stealth Fighter
- David Axe, War Is BoringPeople's Liberation Army Navy: 2014 in Review
- Info. DisseminationHow Libya Gave Up Its WMD
- William Tobey, The BulletinCIA Torturers Should Be Prosecuted
- Kenneth Roth, Washington PostMilitary Should Be Pissed About the Torture Report
- Halen Allison, T&P
Friday, December 12The War Hero and the Chicken Hawk
- Timothy Egan, New York TimesMore Lethal LCS to Be Small Surface Combatant
- C. Cavas, Navy TimesCancelling DDG-1000 Was a Mistake
- Ben Freeman, National DefenseIs There a Crisis in Military Morale?
- Peter Feaver, Foreign PolicyLockheed Opens Up About Secret Weapons Unit
- Andrea Shalal, ReutersLaser on a Truck: Army's Role in Offset Strategy
- Sydney Freedberg, BDDrop the Ban on Transgender Troops
- Jason Lemieux, Task & PurposeWindow to Reform War Funding Just Opened
- Robert Gard, Defense OneTokyo Keeps Washington Waiting on Defense
- Anthony Fensom, Natl IntBritain the Middle East: We're Back
- The EconomistOrigins of Turkey's Buffer Zone in Syria
- Aaron Stein, War on the RocksForce to Fight ISIS Has Manpower, Little Firepower
- Ben Hubbard, NYTTorture Is Who We Are
- Peter Beinart, The AtlanticThe Exquisite Hell of John Brennan
- Shane Harris, Daily BeastA Travesty of a Report
- Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post
Thursday, December 11Air Force's 5 Most Lethal Weapons of War
- Dave Majumdar, Natl InterestThe Tale of the F-35 and Hot Jet Fuel
- Colin Clark, Breaking DefenseNavy Successfully Tests Laser Weapon in the Gulf
- Mark Thompson, TimeTen Rules for Building Militias
- Patricio Asfura-Heim, War on the RocksCIA Torture: An Insider's View
- John Schindler, XX CommitteeThis Is Your Brain on Torture
- Patrick Tucker, Defense OneFear and Torture
- Adam Gopnik, New YorkerJohn Brennan's Zigzag on Torture
- Michael Crowley, PoliticoWar & America's Compromisers in Chief
- Chris Miller, Cicero MagazineNew Navy Budget Buys...Time
- Craig Hooper, Next NavyPutin: The Geopolitical Nihilist
- Jakub Grygiel, American InterestWhat Is Putin's Next Move in Ukraine?
- Stephen Sestanovich, CFRIndia Raises Specter of Nuclear Arms Race in Asia
- T. Hussain, McClatchyChina to Take Nukes Where Prying Eyes Can't See
- D. Tweed, Bloomberg
Wednesday, December 10Inside the CIA's Sadistic Dungeon
- Tim Mak, Daily BeastTime to Move Past the Enhanced Interrogation Debate
- Overt Action$554B for DOD in 'Cromnibus' Spending Bill
- John Bennett, Defense NewsMaking Night Raids Successful in Afghanistan
- Ernest Lee Ronin, T&PIranian Fighter Explains Tehran's War in Syria
- Jassem Al Salami, WIBCan Iran Turn Off Your Lights?
- Patrick Tucker, Defense OneService in a Time of Perpetual Conflict
- David Mattingly, War on the RocksOur Cost Effective Carrier Force
- Scott Truver, USNI NewsPartisan Torture Report Fails America
- Bob Kerrey, USA TodayMichael Hayden Is Not Sorry
- Michael Hirsh, Politico MagazineExposing the CIA's Stain on America
- Ruth Marcus, Washington PostWe're Always Still Americans
- Thomas Friedman, New York Times